Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The Shelter...again

Today Adam and I had the privelege of returning to the evacuee shelter at Kelly. We sorted shoes for a couple of hours and I met a really neat woman. "Neat" is a loose adjective. She was an older woman who had been volunteering for a couple of days I guess and believed she was a pro at sorting shoes. She would show me how to rubber band shoes together as if I could not figure it out myself. Then she would show me which shoes needed to be thrown away because it was just a disgrace that anyone would even consider donating them in the first place. She referred to them as "pieces of -------" and well, that just "really p-----es me off." It was an educational experience for sure.

They served the volunteers lunch while we were there today: ravoili, pea, and vienna sausages. mmm mmm good.

But it is just amazing how packed the warehouse is now compared to the first day I went. It went from being 4 volunteers and completely empty...to about 100 volunteers and completely full. bags of clothes climbing half of the wall, and thats after they already cleared a stack that climbed 3/4 way up the wall.

Then Adam and I toured the actual sleeping quarters. There was a beauty salon set up on one side, a kid center across from there and a library in the next room over. Then they were serving the evacuees lunch: chicken fajitas!!! I decided I was going to eat in their cafeteria from now on! ;)

We are still looking for an opportunity to take some kids out there for singing or playing. Hopefully God will be providing that opening for us soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home