Katrina Relief
A local high school has become a shelter for some of the hurricane victims from New Orleans. I took a couples there this morning, since this is where they go to school, hoping we could deliver our items and interact with some of the victims there. Well, it turns out that they are no longer collecting items at that location because they are hoping to move everyone and everything to an air force base that has been closed down here in town. So April and I traveled down to the base to deliver our items.
First of all, we didn't know how to get to this base. And once we got there, we didn't know where the shelter was located. So we drove in first to the "command center", I guess, where we were told to look for a large group of vehicles and people. We didn't find this, so we talked to another security guard who told us the same thing. While driving around the area these two had pointed to, we found a building that was being cooled by huge fans and had a line of port-o-potties in front. we figured this must be the destination, but where was the large group of people?
There were 4 people there when we arrived. These four people did not work for Salvation Army or Red Cross, they were simply volunteering at the shelter. We delivered our items and decided to stay a while to help organize. The crowds have not yet arrived to the shelter, but they are expecting them there sometime today. But who was in charge of this operation? That person was not anywhere to be found. In fact, I dont think there was anyone in charge!
April and I drove over to where the reporters were (not anywhere near the shelter) to tell them that they need to broadcast directions to the shelter so people know where to donate their items. They did not seem to care.
April and I plan on returning there this evening to help some more. I'm really hoping that the victims will arrive while we are there and we can see in person what the situation is. I want to interact with them and hope to be an encouragement. I am also so excited about the opportunity that our youth group has to get involved. I imagine spending a lot of time in prayer and praise with the hurricane victims, and even time just hangin out and playing games. What an awesome opportunity for community outreach!

2 Comments:
From what I understand (from the news reports I have read) the place you stopped at was the original destinated place for the refugees but because of lack of air conditioning they decided to move them to another building at Kelly (a former office building) I know the lack of communication is frustrating but I think there are people being cared for at Kelly just not at the location you visited. Bless you for wanting to help these poor folks and volunteering your time.
You go girl! What an awesome opportunity. I'm going to do the same thing in my area. Same situation - unused Air Force base just outside of Denver will house around 800+ evacuees. My family will do what we can.
Post a Comment
<< Home