Friday, September 16, 2005

Dueling Guitars

So last night I returned to the shelter with my Dad and two guitars. Last Friday I met Eddie at the shelter and he told me how his instruments were destroyed in the hurricane. He also said that someone showed up with a $30 guitar and let him play for a bit. I knew that I was not the person that should be hanging out with this guy, but that my dad should definitely meet him. He was sitting in a corner eating chicken nuggets that looked more like soggy bread and was wearing the same clothes as when I met him last week. I spotted the oversized scuba diving cap and what he called his "Johnny Depp glasses."
We were there for two hours. I listened while Eddie and my dad played tunes like "Spooky" and "House of the Rising Sun." Eddie assured us that he wasn't that great of a guitar player, but he was teaching my dad some chords that he didnt even know existed, mostly blues and jazz.
Which reminds me: the Jazz fest is this weekend. I have never attended, but I thought since I have been so interested in the evacuees from New Orleans, I might just have to get a taste of that jazz.
We are returning to the shelter tonight. I think I will take some toe nail clippers for Eddie. He keeps mentioning a need for those.

3 Comments:

Blogger Natalie Brooke said...

that is so great that you get to spend time with people from new orleans...hearing their stories and ministering to them.

Haven't had time to read blogs like I like to so I had to catch up on yours. I have to say that Harley is precious...oh i mean...tough...very tough!

Love you miss Karessa! talk to you later, nat.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Chris Robey said...

Is your dad a pretty good guitar player? I would love to be able to play guitar with some folks. I am kind of a lone wolf up here in ol' Vernon with my guitar. In college I used to play all of the time. What kids of music do you guys play?

Awesome work with the evacuees. I am jealous.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love picturing your dad jamming out on the guitar in the shelter. Your family is full of big-hearted people... enjoy the rest of your weekend (and check your email ;) )

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home